Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows ski resort has found it necessary to address the public regarding a report of drinking water contamination found at the upper mountain location of Squaw Mountain. The issue came to the attention of the Placer County Department of Environmental Health in early November. The testing revealed coliform and E.Coli bacteria in the water. No illness or health concerns have been reported but consumption of the water was banned until the problem is resolved.
The Public Relations Director for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Liesl Kenney, released a statement explaining the situation. It detailed the flooding of a recently upgraded water system during an especially severe rainstorm in October. This overflow led to a contamination to only one system while all others remain untouched. The results of in-house testing revealed the contamination which was immediately reported to both the Placer County Environmental Health department and the Squaw Valley Public Service District.
The ski resort is working with these departments to address the concern and will continue to remain on top of the problem until the water quality is returned to its normal, safe purity level. No water is being used through the affected system at either High Camp or Gold Coast. This procedure will remain in place until cleared for use by public health officials.
The ski resort staff also expressed how seriously they are taking this concern because of the importance of the safety of all of their guests. The use of the facilities is unchanged and they continue to supply bottled water, free of charge, to all guests to eliminate any potential inconvenience. An additional announcement will be made once the matter has been resolved.